Wednesday 11 February 2015

10 Free Apps That Helped Me Lose Weight, Get Fit & Have More Fun



I got hooked on tech gadgets when I took up running a few years ago, and it wasn't long before I realized technology had caught up with fitness in a big way. But my favorite one by far is my iPhone. There are SO many apps that make it easy for me to stay focused on my health and wellness journey by letting me set goals, track what I eat, join challenges, connect with others, read inspiring blogs and listen to pump up music.
Here are my favorite — and free! — wellness apps. I hope they can inspire you to get up and move also!
1. MyFitnessPal
There are tons of food and fitness trackers, and I've tried most of them, but this is my fave! It lets you easily track food, water, exercise and weight. It also syncs with trackers like FitBit and Jawbone, lets you connect with friends to stay accountable and allows you to enter your own favorite recipes for nutrition data.
2. RunKeeper
This app tracks everything: running, walking, cycling, hiking, etc. It syncs easily with MyFitnessPal and other devices like FitBit and Jawbone for easy tracking wherever you are.
3. Daily Workouts
No muss, no fuss workouts in app form. It's very basic, letting you choose the body part you want to work out out and for how long, then leads you with basic videos and moves almost anyone can do.
4. Charity Miles
Doing good while getting fit is a winning combo in my book, and Charity Miles makes it so easy to do just that. Just pick the cause you want to support, hit start and away you go! Corporate sponsors then donate 25 cents per mile for walkers/runners and 10 cents per mile for bikers.
5. Waterlogged
I don't need to tell you how important it is to drink water, but if you have trouble keeping up with your daily intake, this appwill help you reach your goal. It has great visuals and lets you set reminders to take a sip.
6. WOD Deck of Cards
This is a fun app to use with the whole family if they're up for it. All you have to do is decide what exercises you want to do, and the app does the rest. You never know what's coming next and it makes for a great, fast-paced interval workout.
7. Songza
Music always makes me happy and motivates me during a workout. If you're the same way and you don't know about Songza … where have you been?! Two or my favorite playlists are Drop-A-Beat Workout and Fun & Funky Pick Me Ups, but you can find any type of music mix to get you going.
8. PopSugar Active
This is the most comprehensive, easy to use, all-in-one workout app I've found to date. I love to follow a video when working out, and this app has a huge selection led by the best fitness experts around. The app is easy to use and even lets you create personalized routines or join a challenge to take the guess work out of fitness.
9. HeadSpace
Downtime is a must, and this app will help you get it. I use this any time I need to chill but can't quiet my mind on my own. It offers guided relaxation and meditations that do the trick at the end of a workout.
10. Motion Traxx
If you get on a cardio machine at the gym and dread the time ahead of you, you've got to try this. I always move better to a beat and these workouts do the trick. Some of them are even coached, so it's like having a personal trainer right there with you.
So there you have it ten free options to get you moving, losing and having fun! No more excuses. What's a must-have app that helps you reach your weight loss, fitness or lifestyle goal?
Photo Credit: Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment